Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Second To The Last Unanswered Question

I was thinking about the fetal position this morning, because I realized I was in it while stealing an extra five minutes in bed. My knees were pressed together and tucked up and my wrists crossed against my chest. I wondered if my 57-year-old body actually remembered being in my mother's womb. I briefly considered working this into my sermon and then thought better of it. But I remained curious.

On-line, I learned this:
A whopping 41% of participants [in a survey] sleep in this curled-up manner. Women are twice as likely to rest like this and it is listed as the most common position. These sleepers are said to have a tough exterior but are still sensitive and may appear to be shy but warm up quickly.
And this (at a great website, 1000 Awesome Things):
The fetal position is the best way to keep warm if you find yourself tentless in Nunavut or crashing on a pal’s basement floor without copious blanketing. It literally warms the heart (liver, lungs, and kidneys). And hey, isn’t the fetal position just one more way to turn back the clock? After all, your body knows the fetal position, [and] your body lived the fetal position...
Plus this:
The fetal position has been observed in drug addicts, who enter the position when experiencing withdrawal. Sufferers of anxiety are also known to assume the fetal position during panic attacks.
But type this question into Google, with quotation marks, and you get no hits: "Do our bodies remember being in the fetal position?"*

*This statement is now inoperative, because if you enter the sentence, you will now be referred to The Episconixonian. We also star in this search: "Aunt Edna's Prayer".

No comments: