Monday, January 16, 2012

Reeding South Carolina Evangelicals' Minds

Ralph Reed, the evangelical Christian Republican consultant, minimizes anti-Mormonism when it comes to Mitt Romney. LA Times:
His campaign has mailed brochures to South Carolina voters that feature a color photo of a prayerful Romney in coat and tie, his head bowed and eyes closed, along with a signed pledge to be true to "my faith" as president. The brochure notes that he has belonged to the same church "his entire life." But it does not mention his Mormon faith, a barrier for some Protestant evangelicals who don't consider Mormons to be Christians.

Reed...said that Mormonism was less of a factor this year.

In Iowa, exit polls showed 61% of caucus-going Protestant evangelicals voted for either a Mormon (Romney) or a Catholic (Santorum or Gingrich). Reed said Christian fundamentalists were voting on "electability, likability, who shares their values" and the economy, especially in this hard-hit state.

"The sort of lazy narrative is that they're driven by identity politics, and all you have to do is come in here and say, 'Praise the Lord' and quote scripture, and they're going to vote for you. It's not true," Reed said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still learning from you, but I'm improving myself. I definitely love reading everything that is written on your blog.Keep the aarticles coming. I liked it!
Organic Cotton Quilted Cradle Mattress Protector

Anonymous said...

Helpful information. Lucky me I discovered your web site by accident, and I'm stunned why this accident did not happened in advance! I bookmarked it.
Sorel Women's Tofino CVS Boot