Thursday, February 12, 2009

Vanity Fair Game

In this "Vanity Fair" excerpt from his upcoming book about Reagan and Gorbachev, veteran journalist James Mann, a former LA Times columnist, quotes from a memo former President Nixon wrote to his own file about his April 1987 meeting with President Reagan in the White House family quarters. I called Mann this morning and asked (graciously, I hope) whether a copy of RN's memcon had somehow ended up in a public archive somewhere, since as far as we know, it's still in non-deeded post-Presidential files at the Nixon Library. Mann graciously declined to tell me where he'd seen it.

***
The 1987 memcon isn't quite as big a scoop as Mann makes out in his article (nor indeed I in my post). See the comments on the New Nixon version of this post.

No comments: