Tuesday, December 2, 2008

President Nixon's Call To Joe Biden

Getting relatively little attention as new White House tapes are opened is a call President Nixon placed to Senator-elect Biden in November 1972 after the death of his wife and two of his children in an auto accident (I'll repunctuate and also remove the "uhs"):
BIDEN: Hello, Mr. President. How are you?

NIXON: Senator, I know this is a very tragic day for you, but I wanted you to know that all of us here at the White House are thinking of you and praying for you and also for your two children. I understand that you were on the Hill at the time and your wife was just driving by herself.

BIDEN: Yes, that’s correct.

NIXON: So, I mean looking at it as you must in terms of a future, because you, you have the great fortune of being young...I remember I was two years older than you when I went to the House. But the main point is, you can remember that she was there when you won a great victory, and you enjoyed it together. And now I’m sure that she’ll be watching you from now on. Good luck to you.

BIDEN: Thank you very much, Mr. President. Thank you for your call. I appreciate it.

No comments: