Saturday, October 17, 2009

Manifestly Frustrated

A "manifesto" attributed to the Rt. Rev. John Shelby Spong, former Episcopal bishop of Newark, is making the rounds on the Internet -- though I haven't yet found it on a site directly affiliated with the bishop. In it, he is said to write:
I will no longer debate the issue of homosexuality in the church with anyone.
I can understand his frustration after decades of debate and division. But what if someone said, "I will no longer be in dialogue or communion with a Christian who says he doesn't believe in the bodily Resurrection of Christ," which is the case with Bishop Spong? I'd say that's an even more foundational issue for the Church than our obligations to our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters. Better to keep talking, even when we don't feel like it or our sensibilities are offended.

No comments: